We would like to thank all our veterans who have served and protected our country. Taylor Family Funeral Home proudly honors the opportunity when we are called upon to memorialize our veterans with the highest standards that are worthy of the service they provided to our country.

VA burial benefits and memorial items

VA burial benefits can help service members, Veterans, and their family members plan and pay for a burial or memorial service in a VA national cemetery. Family members can also order memorial items to honor the service of a Veteran. Find out how to apply for the burial benefits you’ve earned, and how to plan for a burial in advance or at time of need.

Veterans, service members, and some family members may be eligible for burial in a VA national cemetery. Find out if you, or a person you’re planning a burial for, can get this benefit.

Who can be buried in a VA national cemetery?

Veterans, service members, spouses, and dependents may qualify for burial in a VA national cemetery, as well as other benefits, if they meet one of the requirements listed below.

One of these must be true. The person qualifying for burial benefits is:

  • A Veteran who didn’t receive a dishonorable discharge, or
  • A service member who died while on active duty, active duty for training, or inactive duty for training, or
  • The spouse or minor child of a Veteran, even if the Veteran died first, or
  • In some cases, the unmarried adult dependent child of a Veteran

VA has benefits designed to aid you and your family in preparing for the future. The documents in this packet will help guide you and your loved ones as you plan, and ensure your survivors know what benefits are available to them.

The following benefits are available to Veterans and their families:

Pre-Need Eligibility for National Cemetery Burial or Memorialization

VA provides for a final resting place for eligible Veterans, spouses, and their eligible dependents, as well as a headstone or marker, a flag to drape the casket and a Presidential Memorial Certificate.

Memorial or Burial Flags

A United States flag is provided, at no cost, to drape the casket or accompany the urn of a deceased Veteran who served honorably in the U. S. Armed Forces. U.S. Post Offices are the primary issuing point for burial flags. Each family of a decedent is entitled to one flag. Government Headstones or Markers.

VA can provide a single headstone, columbarium niche cover, or a flat marker for a Veteran’s final resting place (private, state or national cemeteries).

Cemetery Medallions

VA can provide a medallion for use on a headstone or other memorial in a private cemetery to signify a decedent’s status as veteran. Multiple sizes are available.

Presidential Memorial Certificates

VA can provide a Presidential Memorial Certificate (PMC) to the family of the deceased Veteran. A PMC is an engraved paper certificate signed by the current President.

Burial Benefits and Burial Automatic Payments

Burial benefits are paid to a spouse, designated family member, or executor to partially offset the cost of burial expenses, plot costs, and transportation costs for a Veteran’s remains. These benefits are paid at different rates based on whether the Veteran’s death was service
connected or non-service connected.

If the Veteran was receiving VA benefits prior to their passing and had a spouse of record, these benefits will usually be paid automatically to that spouse. However, additional funds may be paid, or payment made to another party, if an application is completed. Additional benefits, including a plot or interment allowance and transportation allowance, may also be payable.

An application for non-service-connected burial benefits must be submitted within two years from the date of death. There is no time limit for a service-connected death.

Dependency and Indemnity Compensation

Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC) is a monthly tax-free benefit provided to an eligible surviving spouse, dependent child(ren), and/or parent(s) of a deceased Servicemember or Veteran.

DIC benefits paid to surviving spouses and children are not income based. Parents DIC is an income-based benefit for parents who were financially dependent on of a Servicemember or Veteran who died from a service-related cause.

For Help With Your Benefits

Applying for VA benefits, especially at the time of passing of a loved one, can be difficult and confusing. However, several organizations exist to help you navigate this process, usually cost-free.

Here are a few places you can go for help with the claims process:


Most local governments in the United States have a designated County Veterans Service Office or Agency, staffed by County Veterans Service Officers (or “CVSOs”). These officers operate independent of VA, but receive VA training, and can act as liaisons between claimants and VA.

They are usually well versed in benefits eligibility requirements and claim processing, and are available to help you locally. To find your local CVSO, you can use the directory found online at this URL:

Veterans Service Organizations

Veterans Service Organizations (VSO) are private groups dedicated to providing Veterans and their families with a number of services, including assistance with claims processing. These groups can help you by representing you before VA, and can assist you in completing your claim.

While these groups are not formally connected to government or VA, they receive VA accreditation and training, and do not charge for their services. To find a VSO, you can use the directory found online at this URL:

VA Contact Information

If you wish to speak directly to a VA representative, contact VA at the following phone numbers:

  • For burial, Survivors Pension, DIC, or other benefits:1-877-294-6380.
  • For the status of VA headstones and markers: 1-800-697-6947.
  • For obtaining bereavement counseling: 1-202-461-6530.
  • For Telecommunications Device for the Deaf services, dial 711.

If you or somebody you know is experiencing a crisis, you can contact VA’s

Veterans Crisis Line at 1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255).

Do you have questions about veterans options?

    Math Captcha

    Or call

    (727) 545-9858